Last Updated: 8/23/2018
At block.a, we appreciate your use of and contributions to our websites, our mobile and desktop applications, our other properties and/or our related services (collectively known as the "Services," or, each individually, a "Service"). block.a respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal information.
1. Information Collected by Block.a.
When you use the Services, we collect a variety of information from and about you, your devices, and your interaction with the Services. Some of this information identifies you directly or can be used to identify you when combined with other data.
- Information you provide. When using the Services, you may be asked to provide personal information about yourself, such as your name, contact information, payment information, details about your home or properties you are interested in, financial information. This may occur, for example, when you register on the Services, claim a home, share or save a property, correspond with a real estate professional (such as a real estate agent or broker, mortgage lender or loan officer, property manager, investor, homebuilder, or others) via the Services, or complete other forms or transactions, such as a request for loan information or a rental housing and background check application. You may also provide information about a third party through the Services, for example, if you share a real estate listing with a recipient via email. We may combine this information with other information we collect from your interaction with the Services or from other companies.
- Some information you provide through the Services is collected and processed by third parties on our behalf. For example, when you order products or services through the Services, we may need to collect your credit or debit card information. This information is collected and processed by third-party payment processors. In the event that a credit report is required to use a Service, you may be asked to provide your Social Security number ("SSN"). When SSNs are required, we use technology to pass that information directly to the third-party providers who need the information to process the credit or background check report. If you are a real estate professional, you may be able to connect your third-party email account (such as Gmail) to your block.a account. If you enable that connection, block.a will access your messages, contacts, and settings to provide the requested Services to you.
- The pages on the Services may also include web beacons or pixels, which are electronic files to count users who have visited that page, to track activity over time and across different websites, to determine users’ interactions with emails we send, to identify certain cookies on the computer or other electronic device accessing that page, or to collect other related information, and this information may be associated with your unique browser, device identifier, or Internet Protocol address. We may, for example, implement a pixel on the pages of the Services where you view a certain advertisement so that we can track whether you visit a website associated with that advertisement at a later time.
- Mobile device and mobile browser information. You may adjust settings on your mobile device and mobile browser regarding cookies and sharing of certain information, such as your mobile device model or the language your mobile device uses, by adjusting the privacy and security settings on your mobile device. Please refer to the instructions provided by your mobile service provider or mobile device manufacturer.
- Location Data. Enabling location services on your mobile device is necessary to allow the unlocking of properties’ doors and entrances. If you enable location services on your mobile device, block.a collects the location of your device, which we use to provide you with property access, location-based information, and advertising. If you wish to deactivate this feature, you can disable location services on your mobile device.
- Usage logs. We collect information about your use of our Services, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Services. We also collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, such as the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, mobile network information, and browsing behavior.
- Calls and text messages. Calls between you and block.a, or between you and third parties made through block.a (such as real estate agents you contact about a property through a form or link on our website, or using contact information found on our website), may be recorded or monitored for quality assurance and customer service purposes. You will be notified at the beginning of a call if it may be recorded or monitored. block.a uses a third-party service provider to track phone calls and text messages between you and real estate professionals so that we and the real estate professional can access certain details about the contact. As part of this process, block.a and its service provider will receive in real time and store data about your call or text message, including the date and time of the call or text message, your phone number, and the content of the text message.
- Public content. You may provide information publicly through the Services, such as when you leave a review for a real estate professional, or when you contribute to discussion forums.
Collection of information by third-party services. Some Services require collection of your information directly by third parties. For example, if you use the Services to make rent payments. By using such Services, you grant block.a and third-party services the right, power, and authority to act on your behalf to access and transmit your personal and financial information from the relevant financial institution.
block.a will not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from any person under the age of 13.
2. Notice of Photography, Video and Audio Recording
- When you visit a property supported by block.a, you enter an area where photography, audio, and video recording occurs.
- By entering the properties, you consent to photography, audio recording, video recording and monitoring and its use for security, quality assurance, training, providing feedback to listing agents, real-estate management companies, and landlords or for any other purpose(s) that block.a, its vendors, partners, affiliates and/or representatives deems fit to use. You release block.a, its officers and employees, and each and all persons involved from any liability connected with recording, digitizing, photographs, computer images, video and/or or sound recordings.
- All materials are stored on block.a servers, and will not be publicly disclosed.
- By entering the properties, you waive all rights you may have to any claims for payment or royalties in connection with any of these materials, regardless of the purpose. You also waive any right to inspect or approve any photo, video, or audio recording taken by block.a or the person or entity designated to do so by block.a.
- You have been fully informed of your consent, waiver of liability, and release before entering the property, and this notice is prominently displayed on block.a's website and app.
3. How Block.a Uses Your Information
Block.a generally uses the information collected about you to provide and improve the Services, including to:
- provide and deliver the Services, process transactions and send related information such as confirmations and invoices;
- send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards and events offered by block.a and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Services;
- revise, modify, and update existing Services and develop new Services;
- detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of block.a and others;
- personalize the Services and present you with advertising, content or features that we believe will be of interest or useful to you;
- facilitate contests, sweepstakes and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
Email Management. You may receive email from block.a for a variety of reasons - for example, if you took an action through the Services, you signed up for a regular report, or you posted your home for sale and a buyer sent you a message. If you have an account with block.a, you can select your preferences through your account settings. Also, you can manage your receipt of some types of communication by following the instructions included in the email we send you. Please note that, even if you unsubscribe from certain email correspondences, we may still need to email you with important transactional or administrative information.
4. When Block.a Shares and Discloses Your Information
Your privacy is important and we are committed to protecting your information that identifies you personally. We will only share personal information that you provide outside the public areas of the Services in the following circumstances:
- With your consent. When you consent or direct block.a to share the personal information. This happens when you submit your information through many of our Services. For example, if you choose to contact a real estate agent, mortgage lender, investor, builder, property manager, or other real estate professional through the Services, your name, phone number, email address, and message content will appear to the recipient of the message. Similarly, if you apply for rental housing through the Services, your application information will be sent to prospective landlords.
- Business transfers. If and when block.a is involved in a merger, acquisition, or any form of transfer or sale of some or all of its business, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, we may share your personal information in connection with that transaction.
Block.a may also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
5. Interest-Based Advertising
In addition, if you have provided your email address to us, we may use a scrambled, unreadable form (a hash) of your email address to deliver tailored advertisements to you on the Services or on other websites, including via Facebook’s Custom Audience Feature or other similar tools. Click here to learn about how you can control the ads you see on Facebook.
You may opt-out of cookie tracking and analysis as described in the section below entitled 'Opting Out of Collection of Information by Third Parties'. The Services do not otherwise respond to ‘do not track’ signals.
6. Third-Party Links and Websites
7. Security and Retention of Information
Block.a takes reasonable steps to protect the information users share with us from unauthorized use, access, and disclosure, both during transmission and at rest. However, no transmission of information via the Internet nor electronic storage solution can be entirely secure, so please be aware that we cannot guarantee absolute security.
You can access, update, and delete personal information you provide to block.a in your account profile by logging into your account on the relevant block.a Service. We may maintain a copy of the original version of your information in our records.
8. Transfer of Information to the United States
Block.a is based in the United States and you acknowledge that the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer, and storage of information in and to the United States, where you may not have the same rights and protections as you do under local law.
9. Government and Private Party Information Requests
Block.a occasionally receives various forms of legal process from government agencies and private parties requesting information about block.a users. Before we produce information, we will attempt to notify affected users and give them an opportunity to object unless notification is prohibited by law or if we believe that notification would create a risk of harm or be otherwise counterproductive.
10. Contacting Block.a
110 Sullivan St
New York, NY 10003